Professional Development Opportunities
In addition to leading a U of A study abroad program, faculty and staff interested in teaching, conducting research, or gaining professional experience abroad should carefully consider the opportunities below.
Fulbright Scholar Programs
The U.S. Fulbright Scholars program offers nearly 470 teaching, research or combination teaching/research awards in over 125 countries, varying in duration from 2 to 12 months.
Fulbright International Education Administrators Seminars
The International Education Administrators (IEA) seminars help U.S. international education professionals and senior higher education officials create empowring connections with the societal, cultural and higher education systems of other countries. These seminars are typically 2 weeks long and deadlines vary by country.
Visiting Professor Programs
- University Studies Abroad Consortium visiting instructors: USAC encourages applications from faculty at member institutions (U of A is a member) to teach 1-2 classes at study abroad program sites. Applications are considered annually for summer and semester terms. The deadline is December 1. Contact Director of Study Abroad for details.
- Kansai Gaidai University Visiting Professor Program: our exchange partner in Osaka, Japan, offers teaching positions for one semester in a variety of disciplines.
- Aarhus University guest lecturer program: our exchange partner in Denmark offers teaching positions for their summer programs in Business Administration and Business and Economics.
- Essex International Visiting Fellowship Program: our exchange partner in England offers short-term and long-term fellowships for research fellowships at their Colchester campus.
Faculty Development Seminars
- Council for International Education Exchange (CIEE) offers 1-2 week long seminars in 20+ countries during the summer and in early January to assist faculty in enhancing their syllabi, internationalizing the curricula, and increasing global understanding.
- USAC Faculty International Development Awards are available to faculty to enroll as a full participant in a summer study program; grant covers most expenses. Contact Director of Study Abroad for details.
Study Abroad Staff Grants
USAC offers Study Abroad Staff Grants (SAS) for university staff to spend 2-4 weeks at a study abroad program site. Application deadline is mid-February. Contact Director of Study Abroad for details.