You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you have climbed a mountain!
The Office of Study Abroad is here to support you from start to finish of your study abroad experience. If you are just getting started on your study abroad journey, great! Take some time to explore your options online and jot down your questions and goals, then give us a call. We are excited to help you launch your dreams into reality!
Things to Consider
To guide your research and find the best study abroad fit for you, consider these four factors: Timeframe, Destination, Academics, and Cost. Depending on your goals, you may find one issue to be more important than others. For example, the classes you need may limit your destination options, or, you may decide that you are willing to compromise in other areas to go to your dream destination.
How long, and which term, would I like to be abroad?
- Programs range in length from two weeks to a full academic year
- Available terms: summer, semester, intersession, or acadmic year
- Students are eligible to study abraod the summer after their freshman year and can go abroad any semester before they graduate.
HogsAbroad Search Tip: you can narrow down the "term" parameter so that you will only see programs that are available during that selected time frame.
What destination is right for me?
- Programs are available in over sixty countries
- Most locations offer courses taught in English.
- Some locations offer specialized coursework, internships, or research opportunities.
- Language immersion programs are a great way to build fluency and work through two years of language courses in one semester.
Decisions about your study destination are also personal. Do you want to live in a bustling capital or quiet university town? Maybe somewhere more off the beaten path? Do you have a heritage interest in visiting a certain part of the world?
HogsAbroad Search Tip: You can refine your search by narrowing the "Country" or "Region" parameters.
What kind of credit can I earn while abroad?
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss what classes will help you advance your degree progress.
- Do you need to take courses in your major or minor area of study?
- Would you like to gain language fluency?
- Do you have general electives available that will allow you more flexibility to take food, dance, art, and culture courses?
HogsAbroad Search Tip: you can refine your search by using the "Area of Study" parameter.
What are my financial considerations?
Programs range in cost, but we can help you find a program that fits your budget. Consider:
- Existing Aid: most existing Scholarships & Financial Aid can be used to study abroad.
- More Funding: Additional scholarship opportunities can help you make your goals more reachable.
- Program Length: shorter programs may allow you to return to work sooner and come with a lower sticker price, but a longer program may be more cost effective than a semester in Fayetteville. Airfare can be one of the biggest expenses when going overseas, so the longer you can stay, you'll get more bang for your buck.
- Cost of Living: How much does food and lodging cost? What's the current exchange rate on currency? Make your dollar go farther.
Search Tip: A Study Abroad Advisor can help you find every opportunity for funding, and discuss relative costs in different destinations.
We are here to help you through every step of the process. The Study Abroad team can help you refine your search and narrow down program options, provide an application overiew, prepare scholarship applications and work out a budget, and prepare you for departure. We are here to answer your questions!
Returning study abroad students who are eager to help you explore the different study abroad programs out there. They are trained and ready to help you review your options and start searching for a program.
Study Abroad Advisor
Our study abroad advisors can help you narrow down your program options, provide an application process overview, and answer your study abroad questions. Call our office (479-575-7582) to schedule an appointment with one of our professional advisors.
Your academic advisor can help look at your overall degree plan and see when it would make the most sense to study abroad and what degree requirements might be best met while abroad.
Get in Touch
- Call 479-575-7582
We are available during normal business hours. This is the best way to make an appointment with a study abroad staff member.
- Email email@example.com.
We'll point you towards the best people or resources to get you the help you need.
- Live Chat Online
- Join our Live Chat during normal business hours.
- Drop-in Video Chat Advising
Year-round on Wednesdays, 1-4:30. Join Chat Advising in Blackboard Collaborate.